Phoenix the Vizsla

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Phoenix Quirks

Phoenix is similar to Caleb when he was a puppy in several ways. He gets the hiccups about twice a day-- usually after eating breakfast and when we get home at night. Also, he has the energy of a vizsla pup and is super affectionate. He already can outrun me at 14 weeks old! When he sleeps in bed at night (I know.. lots of dog trainers say you shouldn't let them in your bed-- whatever!), he snuggles up so tight that he'll wake us up, usually when he drapes his neck across ours.

One thing I used to love about Caleb's appearance was how his fur curled around in little swirls on each of his hind legs. We called them "butt swirls". I almost started crying when I saw that baby Phoenix didn't have them. (I noticed a week into his life with us). Then a few weeks ago, I noticed... they had grown in! I guess butt swirls grow in with more adult fur? I wonder if Cody has them? Cody is our friend's vizsla who lives in CA and also has a blog.

Things that are different than Caleb:

  • Phoenix isn't afraid of loud noises (vacuum, thunder, fireworks, lightning strike across the street...)

  • Phoenix loves to chew on rawhides (He demolished one that Caleb had had since he was a pup)

  • We've done a better job at crate training so Phoenix rides in the crate in the car.

  • Phoenix's ears are so long that he *chews* on them!

  • Phoenix sits so far back on his rump (instead of his haunches) that he sometimes falls over!



Here are pictures of my two beloved vizslas at approximately the same age, 3 months old, (Caleb on the left and Phoenix on the right):

3 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger V said...

Photo of butt swirls please! (I don't remember them on C.)

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of our Vs sleeps with us in bed; the rest are banned. That's because we don't have dominance issues with Daisy; she's very happy to lower herself to all other humans and dogs. She would even offer a higher status to those dinky dogs, like Yorkshire terriers! It's a site to see.

Actually, Daisy is our first dog that ever snuck into bed with us and never got kicked out, all because of her sweet nature.

Here's a photo of Daisy and I sharing a chair (she's the cushion):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24432266@N00/171460620/

Butt swirls: some of my dogs have them, some don't.

Enjoy your puppy, but if he ends up playing the dominance game, watch out!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Phoebe said...

Cody has butt swirls too!

I'll see if I can take pictures (if I can get him to stand still!) and post on my blog (referencing your blog post, of course)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home